Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why I Stand With Planned Parenthood

The House Voted to Defund Planned Parenthood

On  Feburary 18, our representatives in the House voted 240-185 to pass the Pence Amendment, which if made into law, will strip Planned Parenthood of all its federal funding. This would prevent Planned Parenthood and 102 affiliated organizations from receiving any federal funds -- including money for STD testing, pregnancy testing and cancer screenings, a Planned Parenthood press release says. Planned Parenthood also charges that the Pence amendment would "cut off 48 percent of Planned Parenthood patients -- approximately 1.4 million people -- from their source of health care."



I don't usually post anything too personal or opinionated on my blog. I rarely ever post anything on serious matters. So, if you happen to read this, please take some time to research more into the issue to become aware of what is going on. Because this is really awful. It also seems to be more than just a simple money issue. Some see it as a fight for culture and freedom.

From what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, the underlying reason for cutting funds from Planned Parenthood is to gain control over the ever-so-controversial "abortion issue". Keep it legal? Make it illegal? Is it murder? Is it not murder? Whatever your view, I'm sure you have heard of the controversy.

Certain people keep fighting for all types of abortions to become illegal. I understand people have beliefs that it is murder for whatever reason.

I am Pro-choice and I am also a believer in minding your business. With that being said I really feel like those who are Pro-lifers shouldn't try forcefully instill their values on others. I feel like they should just focus on their own lives and consider that other may not live a life like their own. Every person lives a different life. People have different values, views, experiences, backgrounds, and morals. A person shouldn't expect everyone to agree with every single thought that they have.

Women in history have been performing abortions for many centuries. Why should they not be allowed to in modern times?

I'm getting a little side tracked from my point. 

What I would really like for people to know about is what the budget cut would do. Rep. Mike Pence, who views about abortion are apparent, is scapegoating Planned Parenthood because they perform abortions. Moreover, by cutting funding from Planned Parenthood you take away basic health care and preventative measures from a huge population in the US.

Services include:
HIV/STI Testing
Birth Control
Cancer Screening & Prevention
Contraception
OB/GYN apointments
& Other Services

Without the availability of these services, it could lead to severe health issues and create greater financial struggles for individuals as well as the government later down the road. Prevention is the first line of defense in health care. Taking away these services target the populations that need it the most: low income, uninsured, and adolescent.

I could go on... but I think you should understand my point by now. You may not agree with it but at least you know where I stand.

Please, sign the open letter to congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment